Saturday 26 May 2012

What Has Made Me Cheerful This Week

Reasons to be Cheerful at Mummy from the Heart

There really isn't any need not to be cheerful this week is there?  There are an abundance of reasons for the sombre of Britain to come out of hiding and be happy!  Linking up with Mummy From The Heart for the weekly Reasons to be Cheerful meme - here are my happy thoughts.


Weather - I think number one on anyones list would be this amazing, wonderful and glorious weather that has finally blessed our shores.  Doesn't it feel it has been a long time coming?  I was actually wondering the other week if I was going to have to try and find more long sleeved trousers and t.shirts for J2.  I looked longingly at the lovely little summer wardrobe sat idling in the drawer waiting to come out and be counted.  But finally blue skies and sunshine graced the dawn and the shorts are out.  Along with the factor 50 sunscreen of course. 

The good weather has had several knock on effects :

Garden - Following on from my recent 'The Garden Plan' post I have been able to start actioning some of the projects on my list.  This required a lovely visit to our local garden centre with my mum.  After an early lunch of 'Cream Tea' (naughty but very nice) we spent a couple of sans J2 hours browsing, assessing and purchasing bits and pieces needed to action The Garden Plan.  Extremely enjoyable morning followed by an extremely enjoyable afternoon potting up.  I will post an update with photos in a future post.

Seaside Strolls - I appreciate where we live most of the year, but none more so than on the days of good weather, when we can really take advantage of the fact that we can leave our house and within 60 seconds be playing on the beach.

Chelsea Flower Show - A ticket to the CFS was my birthday present from my parents this year.  After waiting like an excited child all week, Friday finally arrived and with it perfect blue skies and sunshine heat.  It was an early start (coach pick up was 07:30) but we had a smooth, clear run into the City via the 'Tourist' route.  It was lovely to see London attractions all preparing themselves for the two big approaching events; The Jubilee and Olympics.  We arrived at the venue and was in by about 11:00, where we then had about six and a half hours of beautiful Chelsea viewing hours.

The Show Gardens were amazing as you would expect.  I was thrilled to be lucky enough to be at the Homebase Teenage Cancer Trust Garden when it's designer Joe Swift was there and then at the Brewin Dolphin Garden when Cleve West was 'in residence'.  We did eventually see Alan Titchmarsh and Carol Klein, but they were up on the 'recording' platform, but it was still a sighting!

The Pavilion was a huge, colourful and diverse marvel of skills, with very friendly and chatty stall holders.  I was very happy as I managed to find a stall selling Purple Sensation Allium Bulbs, my favourite!

Add in our rest in the shade with frozen yogurts and real lemonade, with live music from the bandstand and it was pretty much a perfect day.

Jubilee Plans - I had not realised how quickly the Diamond Jubilee was approaching.  With no plans in the pipeline we decided to get cracking with some and have invited some people round on BH Tuesday (how odd does that sound?) for either a BBQ or in the event of bad weather (this is the UK after all) a Royal High Tea.  Much bunting has been purchased.

Now I am going to get back out in that beautiful sunshine, to get my hands dirty in the compost again.  For other bloggers inspirational posts visit Mummy From the Heart.

3 comments:

  1. How jealous am I that you can be at the beach so quickly. The weather sure does make a big difference. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are really lucky. I try and get the children to understand and appreciate how lucky we are to live here. I only had this sort of environment on holidays when I was a child, we lived in a very industrial town.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to live near the beach right now. Unfortunately for me, the only sand I get to see is the stuff being dragged into our house by Pip from the sandpit in the garden. Gggrrr...
    Sounds like you had a great week. x

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to quack your thoughts along with me and will always try and quack right back.