Wednesday 30 January 2013

January Round Up (linking up with Naked Mums)

As the end of a long, chilly January comes to a close the time has come to summarise the first month of 2013.  It is an ideal opportunity to reflect on what has been achieved, or not after all the wishful wondering that a new year brings.
 
I am linking this post up with other bloggers seeking inspiration to make this year a better one, for whatever reason.  Hop over to Kate at The Naked Mum and find out how you can join in.  It is a great place to find support and inspiration in the positive changes you are trying to make.
 
January started slow and not at all how I wanted it too.  Blighted by a flu bug from 18 December, our family was unwell for the duration of Christmas and New Year.  This, for me, was extremely frustrating as I had planned to start the year running - in the literal and metaphorical sense.
 
However, forced to get back up and into the swing of things once school started we all saw an improvement to our health.  Our routine began to once again take shape and the post Christmas sluggishness started to dissipate.
 
This of course has also resulted in my, pretty low mood, picking up and I can say that for the time left in January I feel quite a lot has been achieved.  On the family front, The Hubby and I seem to be getting on much better of late.  Not that we were not rubbing along before, but we seem to be communicating more.  Always good.
 
I have attended quite a lot of appointments for J1 and things that we have been waiting some time to get going, now seem to be rolling.  I know that they will continue to take time but at least I have leads to chase.
 
I have submitted the hours that I would like for J2 at nursery when his allowance starts at the beginning of April.  This has given me some real perspective that life as I have known it for the last (almost) three years is starting to change.
 
Therefore, I have decided now is the time to start laying down some groundwork for what I would like to do when life as a full time, stay at home mum reduces.  I have been given a very special gift from my Husband of being able to pursue my dream of writing and I really want to take this golden opportunity and turn it into a reality.
 
With the help and enthusiasm of one of my dearest friends we have worked out a new potential work-from-home job role in social media.  I am planning on learning everything I possibly can about it and am in the process of seeing if there are any appropriate courses that can be taken.
 
The same friend and I also attended a fantastic workshop (Starting out as a Freelance Writer) this weekend and now I am full of excited anticipation and ideas for feature articles that I could potentially pitch to a range of platforms.
 
I am also looking into the world of writing competitions, not because I particularly think I am of a standard that would win, but it will be a great way to practise writing to guidelines and deadlines.  It will also get me into the habit of writing with more of a purpose.
 
I bought a company name and web domain so that if (or if I am being super positive when) I start to make a regular income I am prepared with my own company to run with it.  Am currently musing ideas on company logo etc.
 
So overall I am quite satisfied with the chapter that has been January 2013 in our life.  All the usual stresses are there of course, the economical climate is as depressing as ever, it is cold, bugs are rife.  I am not back out running yet after a knee injury.  But apart from all those things 2013 has started really quite well.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

10 comments:

  1. Oh you are so inspirational. Put me to shame. Great progress and look forward to hearing more on the business. You should have given yourself credit for your fantastic work on Cervical Cancer Awareness too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! But you do not give yourself enough credit!

      Delete
  2. Best of luck with your writing-I'm trying to start something now so that by the time my youngest goes to nursery I may have something to build on! It's tricky balancing everything, but it feels good to go for it, so don't lose the faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly right! You will get there! Baby steps, that is how I look at it.

      Delete
  3. Oh how I love reading your posts Mother Duck. You are so positive, you get so much done! Wonderful inspiring post. Makes me feel like reaching through the computer screen to give you a massive hug. May the upward trajectory of life continue for you this year :0) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that cheered up my day - I'm bogged down with a bug at the moment - glad that this month has treated you overall very well, and that you have so many exciting things involving your writing in the pipe line!!! You are such a ray of positive cheer! X.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, so glad I could cheer you up. I hope you are feeling better soon. Nothing worse than feeling under the weather :-(x

      Delete
  5. That's a wonderfully positive post Lynsey - so glad to see you most definitely on a big UP! Looking forward to meeting up again XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too OSM! Roll on June - we are going to have a riot!

      Delete

I would love for you to quack your thoughts along with me and will always try and quack right back.