Monday 14 January 2013

Cervical Cancer Prevention Week : 20-26 January

A few weeks ago I wrote a very personal post - if you would like to read it you can do so here
 
It was about my 'near miss' with Cervical Cancer.  How a random act of changing doctors, and it being noted that I should go for a routine, five minute screening potentially saved my life.
 
I often bang on at my friends and family about ensuring they go for their tests.  Of course they do not want to go, who does, but for the few minutes of mild discomfort, what it could save - YOU - means so much more.
 
Cancer charities work tirelessly to raise awareness of preventative actions that can be taken against the disease that is Cancer, no matter what kind it is.  Some are obviously easier to detect than others. 
 
Cervical Cancer is one of those.  Cervical Cancer Prevention Week will commence 20 - 26 January 2013.  I will be dedicating my blog to raising awareness about it for that week. 
 
I will be sharing the experiences of women who have been touched by Cervical Cancer.  I urge you to read their stories, and mine and then make that call to book your screening. 
 
I will be featuring articles with guidelines of potential 'warning signs' to look out for from charities.  I urge you to familiarise yourself with these signs and then make that call to book your screening. 
 
I will be sharing details of charities / support groups for Cervical Cancer for anyone that feels they need further information.  I urge you to appreciate what they do and then make that call to book your screening.
 
If just one women is moved enough by anything they read on my blog next week to make that call to their doctor, it will all be worth it.
 
Cervical Cancer Prevention Week 20 - 26 January 2013.
 
You can find out more about all Gynaecological Cancers at the charity website GRACE
 
 

4 comments:

  1. As someone who has had several near misses with cancer (and another mammogram tomorrow morning! Just a check this time though TG) I wish you the very best of luck with this xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I hope the mammogram was all good.x

      Delete
  2. I read your previous post but did not get a chance to comment before due to baby haze. What a stressful situation to go through at such a young age and I'm glad that things worked out for you. I spent a number of years visiting the colposcopy clinic at my local hospital after a series of abnormal smears. I never once saw it as an inconvenience, more as a blessing. I would happily have continued going there once a year for a thorough once over if it meant catching anything sinister early. I think the work you're doing to raise awareness for Grace is fabulous. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much MP. Do you think you would be able to do a short post on your experience, and really drive home that point you made : It was a blessing that you were screened and the abnormal cells found early?

      Delete

I would love for you to quack your thoughts along with me and will always try and quack right back.