Wednesday 9 January 2013

First

The first post of 2013.  It was my intention to write one much sooner than this.  But four long weeks, of a flu virus saw that plan, and any other plans actually scuppered.
 
It was four weeks yesterday that I noticed the first symptoms of feeling poorly.  Little did I know it would knock me off my feet, both physically and mentally for a month.
 
So Christmas and New Year were not the best and most fun we have ever had, especially as my mum had contracted the same virus therefore all our joint plans and preparation went so far out of the window they were a mere speck on the horizon.  But we made the best of it for the children and I certainly intend to make up for it at the end of this year.
 
Being under the weather for a length of time starts to take its toll mentally though.  The mind became willing to get up and running way before the body.  Then frustration kicks in and negativity, and it is all to easy to become glum during this cold and dark winter months.
 
So how do you stop that?  How do you manage to smack on the brakes when the path you are pausing at the top of is long and slippery?  For me, it was the fact that my family and home still needed me as much as ever.  School started back, pack lunches were required, uniform needed to be pressed, the school run tackled.  J2 still required entertaining whilst the house work needed tackling before it became an insurmountable task.  The Hubby still needed support, with news of a further operation being required and, as it is for most people at the moment, work stressful.
 
Those job roles need to continue to be fulfilled by me as a mum and wife.  As long as I have them I will have motivation.  I may have low spells, but I pray I can always keep that thought as my priority over feeling the pull onto a negative speeding train.
 
Once I started to feel better and felt I was again starting to get on top of my game, starting to regain some control, other things have come back into focus.  The urge to write.  The need to get my notebook and write down story line ideas.  The enthusiasm to get back out exercising.  Action planning for our Florida trip.  Fighting for J1's voice to be heard.  Finding myself and setting some personal goals now J2 is becoming a little less demanding and I can see some light at the end of the Toddler Tunnel.  Getting together with The Hubby to set out a five year plan...
 
So maybe I wasn't able to start my self planned 'great year' for me and my family on the first of the month as I had hoped, but that shouldn't put me off.  It shouldn't put anyone off.  Changes and positive steps forward can be started at any time.  It is never to late, or the wrong time. 
 
I am linking this post up to the new and improved former Groovy Mums, now NAKED MUMS, a forum by Kate over at Kate on Thin Ice / The Naked Mum, supporting just those things; changes; moving forward; positive steps.  If this has inspired you check out Kate and the other bloggers who are trying to make a great year happen.


11 comments:

  1. I love how you reflect on things and also as ever how you reach for the stars and seem to reach them throught that commitment. Inspirational lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, it is a way of organising my thoughts and clearing my head!x

      Delete
  2. Absolutely right Lynsey, never too late to make changes. Just because it's Jan 9th and not Jan 1st, makes not one bit of difference. So long as the change trend is generally upwards...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that you have been so under the weather (hope you got my email and tweet about blog design). I think I had this virus before Xmas - felt like I was ill for ages, and I felt down. You are such an inspiration Lynsey....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks OM. I did get the email thank you - am going to look into it (maybe even later today if I get the chance...) x

      Delete
  4. What an inspiring post. So glad you're all on the mend now. Wishing you lots of love and luck for your adventures this year. I think this is going to be a good year for your MotherDuck. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MP. Really was one of the longest bugs I have suffered with. So glad to actually feel a bit more energised. In April I should have a bit more time to get all these 'adventures and plans' underway!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a hectic virus and it must have been exhausting trying to play the wife/mother role. Glad you are feeling better and are raring to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and yes it was. Some days I just wanted to cry, but we get through it - all part of being a mum!

      Delete
  6. Well done to keeping going with the fly virus, best of luck to your Hubby and I am so impressed that you have a five year plan, that's cool!

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to quack your thoughts along with me and will always try and quack right back.