The inspirational Kate over at Kate on Thin Ice posed an excellent blog post (see blog post title) that I thought would be a good start to the new year to join in with. In my last blog post Musings on New Year I noted that I would review my year and think about what I would like achieve in 2012. I haven't got round to doing that to date having hosted part of Christmas and NYE, a very good excuse but excuse never-the-less.
Then chatting to my fabulous friend today he asked the question that billions have been trying to fashion an answer to today; What do I want from 2012? What can 2012 bring me? Well 2012 on it's own obviously can't bring me bugger all. Of course the burning question is what do I, and my family want to achieve in 2012? I like this question, it indicates an essential need to plan and I love planning.
But in order to that, first must come the review of 2011 which is a great way of summing up the year for the boys in the future, which is kind of the whole point of this blogging lark anyway. So here, guided by the questions of Kate on Thin Ice, we go :
1. What was your happiest event?
The happiest and biggest event of 2011 was getting married. It was as fabulous as I could have only dreamt it could be and every second of the day is a happy memory and being married is really rather cool!
2. What was the saddest thing to happen?
The loss of a friend against her long, hard and painful struggle against cancer leaving a devastated husband and 6 year old daughter.
3. What was the most unlikely thing to happen that actually went ahead and did?
My husband getting rushed into hospital and all sorts of complications arising from it which kept, and still is keeping him under par.
4. Who let you down?
To be honest I can't think of a person or situation that let me down as such this year apart from the Doctors regarding my husband.
5. Who supported you?
Our family situation sees my eldest son (J1) suffer with Cerebral Palsy, and sometimes life for him (and us) can be very difficult and frustrating. We get through that with the wonderful and amazing support of our family and close friends.
6. Tell us one thing you learnt?
That you can achieve more than you think you can and sometimes you just need to compromise.
7. Tell us one thing that made you laugh?
Lots of things have made me laugh this year (again very thankful for that) but the one that still continues to make me laugh is that 2011 saw J1, my eldest little duckling, develop some 'tude (attitude!)
8. Tell us one thing that made you cry?
Sometimes the whole situation of watching J1 struggle (and sometimes fail) to be able to do tasks that are so simple for everyone else just becomes too much to handle and the tears will flow. Then I have to pick myself and think 'We'll get him there'. My son's school show this Christmas also made me shed a tear too, seeing what those children achieved was just amazing.
9. Tell us three things your child / children did to make you feel proud?
* J1 started to sing songs
* J2 started to walk
* J1 and J2 started to really bond as brothers (cuddles and tolerance of each other)
10. Tell us one thing that made you proud of yourself?
I started my blog and thus started writing again, something I had missed and now cherish.
11. Tell us one challenge you overcome?
My own fears of publishing my writing in a blog. For at least 18 months the fear of what other people would think stopped me.
12. Tell us three things you would like to change about your life in 2012?
I wouldn't necessarily say that I want to 'change' anything about my life in 2012 because I have a pretty amazing life with a fantastic and supportive husband and two feisty and gorgeous children - who could ask for more than that eh?! However I would like to achieve :
* More quality family time and finding more suitable (for a child with disabilities and a toddler - not all that easy...) spare time activities
* Continue to blog, learn and build friendships via it and also take the plunge and put 'pen to paper' and write the series of children's books I have been thinking about for 3 years
* To not feel so guilty about taking some me time or adult time with the hubby and enjoy being child free on the occasions it gets offered
The next part of the blog post by Kate says to tag some other fabulous bloggers; therefore these are my most favourite blogging beauties of 2011 have been...
Claire at http://mummyplum.blogspot.com/
Kelly at http://ourfootprintsontheworld.blogspot.com/
Jordan Marie at http://holdingontothelittlethings.typepad.com/blog/
Ellen at http://www.lovethatmax.com/
And of course Kate at http://kateonthinice.wordpress.com/